You will find a list of the upcoming events here.
- 48th International Physics Olympiad (2017) was held July 16-24 in Yogyakarta (Indonesia). The US team achieved 8th level overall in medal counts. The USA winners are: (Haoyang Gao, Kye Shi, and Shreyas Balaji: Gold), and (Michelle Song, and Sanjay Raman: Silver). Iranian students also won medals: (Alireza Darvishi, and Amin Ravanbakhsh: Gold), and (Erfan Abbasgholinejadkhamirgir, Seyed Alireza Mousavi Hosseini, and Seyed Arshia Razavi: Silver). (added 9/21/2017).
- Professor Maryam Mirzakhani, the first female winner of the Fields Medal -the most prestigious award in mathematics- died July 15 2017 after a long battle with cancer. Her work could have impacts on quantum field theory. In recent years, she worked on the trajectory of a billiard ball around a polygonal table. (added 7/16/2017)
- First Iran-EU Nuclear Safety Project launched. The project was signed in April 2017 within the framework of the 2015 nuclear deal. To follow up please read here (added 7/14/2017).
- In April, APS President Laura Greene wrote to the Iranian government to urge it to unconditionally release the imprisoned Baha'i Institute for Higher Education (BIHE) educators. For more information please read here.
- SESAME (Synchrotron-Light for Experimental Science and Applications in the Middle East) opens in Jordan (dated May 16th 2017) with particpants from nine (9) member countries (Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Pakistan, the Palestinian Authority, and Turkey). For more information please read here.
- Iran forges deal with China to redesign Arak reactor. "The contract to receive counselling on the redesign was negotiated and signed in Beijing on April 13". "The fate of the 40-megawatt Arak reactor was a key sticking point in nearly two years of negotiations that led to the nuclear agreement. " from link (added 4/20/2017).
- Hungary and Iran are making preparations to sign an agreement on mutually developing small nuclear reactors for research purposes. The agreement is expected to be reached within the framework of the Iran nuclear deal. http://bbj.hu/economy/hungary-iran-eye-nuclear-research-cooperation_131300 (added 4/8/2017)
- Cina Aghamohammadi is the winner of Biruni 2017 Graduate Student Research Award (added 3/13/2017).
- Several prominent Iranian-American organizations have filed a joint action in federal court to stop the Trump Administration's Executive Order banning nationals from Iran and six other predominantly Muslim nations from entering the U.S. For more information please visit: www.EndtheTravelBan.com. For the full text of the lawsuit please see here: lawsuit (added 2/12/17).
- On January 27, 2017, President Donald Trump signed executive order titled “Protection the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States”. In summary, there are three major parts of the executive order:1- Suspension of the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program; 2- Visa Ban of Nationals from Predominantly Muslim-Majority Countries; 3- Suspension of the Interview Visa Waiver Program.
- Mohammad Mirhosseini (Biruni 2016 Award winner) is the recipient of
- Professor Cumran Vafa (Princeton University) wins 2017 Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics Award (added 12/15/2016). For more information please visit: here.
- Announcement of opportunity to apply for Biruni 2017 Graduate Student Research Award. Candidates please see a tab under title: "Biruni 2017". (added 11/15/2016).
- Ali Javan, a prominent Iranian-American physicist passed away 9/12/2016 in Los Angeles. He co-invented the gas laser in 1960, with William R. Bennett.
- After serving half of his original 10-year sentence in prison, Omid Kokabee has been released on parole. (8/30/2016).
- Dr. Mohammad Mirhosseini is the winner of Biruni 2016 Graduate Student Research Award. (added 03/12/2016)
- Iranian-American Physicists (IrAP) Network Group announces "Biruni" 2016 Graduate Student Research Award. Eligible candidates please refer to the relevant tab on the left hand side of the web site (added 10/19/2015).
- Iran and E3/EU+3 world powers (China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, and the United States; Germany, plus the High Representative of the European Union (EU) for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy) have agreed on a long-term comprehensive nuclear deal waiting to be ratified by US and Iran legislative bodies. The text of the Joint Plan of Action is attached under a tab titled: "Iran Nuclear Deal". (added 8/1/2015).
- Iranian and US secondary school students won medals at the 46th International Physics Olympiad Competition in Mumbai, India: http://www.ipho2015.in/
From Iran the winners are:
- Mohammadhossein Darestanifarahani Gold
- Ali Shirali Gold
- Ali Fathi Silver
- Seyed Mohammad Javad Tabatabaei Yazdi Silver
- Mohammadali Khademsohi Silver
From USA the winners are:
- Adam Robert Busis Gold
- Zachary Bogorad Gold
- Saranesh Thanika Prembabu Gold
- Kevin Q Li Gold
- Jason Lu Silver
- Dr. Farzad Mahfouzi is the winner of Biruni 2015 Graduate Student Research Award. (added 03/02/2015)
- Jailed Iranian physicist (Omid Kokabee) will be retried (please see APS News 23, No. 10 November 2014). (added 11/17/2014),
- The membership dues has been increased by $5. (posted 11/9/2014).
- Ms. Leila Kokabee received the Sakharov 2014 prize from APS president (Malcom Beasley) on behalf of her imprisoned brother (added 5/15/2014).
- Prof. Leggett (University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign), the Nobel Laureate in Physics (2003) delivered a lecture titled "Why time can't run backwards" at Sharif University (Tehran, Iran) Feb. 4th 2014. (you can see an interesting interview with him in: http://kouroshziabari.com/2013/01/interview-sir-anthony-leggett-2003-nobel-prize-laureate-in-physics/). You can also see another interview with Prof. Leggett in Farsi (attached).
- Winner of Biruni 2014 Graduate Student Research Award is Dr. Hamidreza Ramezani. (added March. 11, 2014)
Incarcerated Iranian, receives APS Sakharov Prize
Omid Kokabee, once a graduate student at the University of Texas in Austin, is now serving a ten-year prison sentence in Iran for "communicating with a hostile government" and possessing "illegal earnings" in the form of his college loans. He is the recipient of APS's 2014 Andrei Sakharov Prize. The award recognizes the efforts of scientists to advance human rights around the world. For more information please see: http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/201311/iraniasakharo.cfm (added Nov. 21, 2013)
- International Physics Olympiad was held July 7-15th 2013 in Denmark. The following is the list of winners from USA and Iran:
Gold medalists from US: Kevin Zhou, Jeffrey Yan
Gold medalists from Iran: Amir Zare, Mohammadreza Lotfinamin, Koosha Rezaizadeh
Silver medalists from US: Samuel Zbarsky, Jeffrey Cai
Silver medalists from Iran: Nader Mostaan
Bronze medalists from US: ----
Bronze medalists from Iran: Amirparsa Zivari
- Mr. Omid Kokabee has issued a letter from Evin prison. You can find this letter on a tab on the left hand side under "Omid Kokabee" (added July 1st 2013).
- Dr. Seyyed Hossein Mousavi is the winner of Biruni 2013 graduate student research award. He was recognized on March 19th 2013 during a banquet hosted by APS/FIP at the APS March meeting in Baltimore. You could read about his profile under a tab on the left hand side (3/21/2013).
- Please review our new Bylaws. We have changed the organization of IrAP Network Group. We are no longer administered by the Board of Directors rather than by a Council (updated Feb. 2013).
- The announcement for Biruni 2013 Graduate Student Research Award is out. For more information, please refer to a tab under this name in this web site.
- 112th US Congress passed H.R. 1905 on Aug. 3rd 2012: Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Human Rights Act of 2012 which bars Iranian students from entering specific fields: "Title V, SEC. 501. EXCLUSION OF CITIZENS OF IRAN SEEKING EDUCATION RELATING TO THE NUCLEAR AND ENERGY SECTORS OF IRAN.
(a) In General- The Secretary of State shall deny a visa to, and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall exclude from the United States, any alien who is a citizen of Iran that the Secretary of State determines seeks to enter the United States to participate in coursework at an institution of higher education (as defined in section 101(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1001(a))) to prepare the alien for a career in the energy sector of Iran or in nuclear science or nuclear engineering or a related field in Iran." (added 9/8/12)
- Mrs. Shirin Ebadi (Nobel Peace prize winner) Calls on United Nations Women to Address Oppression of Women in Iran. To read her open letter (regarding blocking female students from entering some fields of study) please see below.(added 8/22/2012)
- Nature journal says that : Omid Kokabee gets 10 years in jail for ‘communicating with a hostile government’ (added 5/19/2012).
- APS News March 20, 2012: APS call to Free Baha'i Teachers in Iran: An APS committee (Committee on International Freedom of Scientists of the American Physical Society) is urging the Iranian authorities to free imprisoned Baha'i educators.
- APS Committee on International Freedom of Scientists' Chair and APS' President (John Byer) have issued letters denouncing the assassination of scientists in Iran during the last two years. For more information please see the page titled: "APS President and APS CIFS' Chair condemn recent assassinations"
- Iranian-American Physicists (IrAP) Network Group announced the winner of the new "Biruni" Graduate Student Research Award (GSRA) at the APS 2012March meeting. Dr. Farbod Shafiei (a Council member of the IrAP Network Group) submitted the monetary award to Mr. Ramis Movassagh (MIT).